Thursday 27 June 2019

Things to come

I am so excited!
I've finally booked myself onto a Gargoyle carving course.
Ages to wait as it's not til Oct but so excited!!
I'll be off to Lincoln to carve stone and of course check out the cathedral amongst other sights.

Looking up is something that many people just don't do especially in a town or city but up there are fabulous things.... gargoyles of course, but I've also seen the beautiful architecture, strange items in windows such as large models of Noddy and Big Ears, and once I saw the most beautifully stone carved ship in full rig - such a sight.

"The origins of the word 'gargoyle' are derived from the old French word 'gargouille' meaning throat. In Architectural terms only the creature serving as actual water spout is called a Gargoyle, otherwise is it known as a Grotesque. A grotesque may function solely as decoration."

What is the purpose of Gargoyles? The first is a practical purpose - gargoyles provided a method of drainage which protected the stones and the mortar of churches, cathedrals and castles from erosion. The number of Gargoyles added to buildings were numerous because dividing the flow of water minimized potential water damage.  The second purpose of gargoyles was as 'guardians' of the buildings in the form of abstract symbols designed to represent, and to ward off evil.

http://www.medieval-life-and-times.info/medieval-art/gargoyles.htm

This information means that technically I'll probably be making a grotesque, but I really don't mind. I would love to make a proper gargoyle that is for water, maybe in a bit.

Another interesting fact is that there are no two alike!

These are a few of some I like.

photo by Richard Nilsen



photo by Annette Wagner

 


The last one is a modern take but equally appealling
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment