Friday 25 May 2018

Holiday time! first in ages



It has been an extended time since the last time I put fingers to keyboard and wrote some words down.
Lots happened, as it does but I’m going to ignore all that and just concentrate on this holiday.

Lots of prep before hand, and thanks to my sister who has been a star! The rest of the family too but especially her.

Hired a wee van because car journeys are not the same, I needed to feel the freedom of being able to stop when I wanted and sleep. So….
Picked it up, got shown all the non scratches, all good, pointed out a couple of things and then got hit with the, about £1100 if there is an accident, but of course you can just pay twice the original hire price and that covers you against problems… Ach! am really fed-up with this world and its insurances against everything which is just another way of the company making loads of money.

Anyway, paid £50 extra and the windscreen and tyres are covered… the words ‘Rip Off’ jump to the front of my brain.

Nice wee van tho’.

All packed, bed out – thanks Mum for the perfect foam – wee rug and all in place.

Finished off work, tidied, ready for the workshop on Sunday, paperwork done and Westfest items complete apart from holes for cable ties. All in all, feeling good, knackered but good.

Set off!!!

Beautiful run down the road, past Glasgow, Carlisle and to Penrith. Sun out, gorgeous colours, radio on, with some great Bluegrass – some awful Radio 1 at one point too – and feeling mightily content then drove past a deer grazing by the side of the road, didn’t seem to have a care in the world.

Heading over the A66 and it got misty which made seeing really difficult due to the crap or non-existent screen wash in the van which left insect smear over my whole view. Luckily I had some with me so after a comfort break at Scotch Corner the screen was clean!

Amazing, the difference being able to see. The amount of traffic had dropped considerably down to mostly trucks and a few cars, much better.
Eventually got to Woolley Edge, to West Bretton and Sycamore Lane (previously researched as near to Yorkshire Sculpture Park – but no car parking fee).

Quite woolly headed by this time but no sleep yet.
A young Kurdish man tried to ask me for something… really don’t know what… the words, house, police, phone were all I really got but he didn’t seem anxious or dangerous for that matter. He was directing down the lane, saying house, phone problem so I went for a bit then realised that I couldn’t actually do anything and maybe it wasn’t the best to be out at 12.30 at night somewhere I didn’t know following a strange Kurdish man. A difficult scenario because I did want to help.

Van, bed, then my body buzzing with caffeine and energy from the drive. Listening out for ‘just-in-cases’ and feeling the vibrations from the vehicles passing nearby.

Woke at 5.30 then straight back to sleep…
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment