Friday 25 May 2018

25 May 2018 - further road trip adventures


Wow!!! No waking to footsteps overhead, no hearing swearing and ‘Shut yer Pus!’
No slamming doors. I might be sleeping in a wee van but much preferable at this moment in time for my peace of mind.

Desperate for the toilet and so it was a quick pack up, drive to Wakefield, bringing back a few memory feelings from so long ago (1984) found a café, toilet, then beans on toast with a large cup of tea.

Feeling like I’m on holiday now!

Back to my park-up and readied for the day ahead.

Mistake no. 1 – forgetting to change from trainers to walking boots.
Weather was dullish but ok as I strolled down to the YSP entrance gate, over the cattle grid with an ‘oops’ slide on the wet metal… no pedestrian walk through as I could see.

Over the brow of the hill, looking down onto a pleasant view opening up before me of a lake, well-kept fields and plenty trees, old and new, were enormous bronzed Henry Moore’s. Their place in the landscape affirmed. I can’t think of anywhere else they would fit so well.

So I trotted off down the hillside to have a closer look. The rain was pooling at the bases forming some lovely reflections. I didn’t like them all as Moore is not my favourite sculptor but impressive nonetheless.






A cup of hot coffee was beckoning so after taking a few photos I began my return to the top of the hill. Before heading to YSP I hadn’t done much research on which sculptors were represented and so was very happily surprised to come across a James Turrell piece set into the hill.


 This quiet, contemplative place, ‘Skyspace’ has been built within an 18th Century Grade II listed building – the deer shelter. The descending rain bounced off the floor tunefully, with the seating arranged in such a manner that leaning back allowed great comfort and directed your gaze towards the open roof. Delicate lighting is apparent around the top of the seating and I could have sat there for hours.

But….

Along came a hoard of schoolchildren and completely erased any hope of my peace.
I hope their tutors made them sit in silence to appreciate a little of the atmosphere that could be found there.

A browse in the shop, found a beautiful wooden bee and then coffee upstairs looking out onto the grounds.

As the café began to fill up and the noise level rose, I left.





 Out the other side of the building was an exhibition by Guissepe Penone.
I’ve seen his work dotted around the internet but never expected to see it first hand. Absolutely gorgeous artwork!
This was in the Underground Gallery as well as outside.

My favourite was of course, the stone piece.
The fine carving makes thhe tree look like it's been cast from a real tree.  Absolutely beautiful!
















In another building was displayed an exhibition by 'Common Ground' – the Dorset bases arts and environmental charity, including an interview with Andy Goldsworthy, taken quite a few years ago.

After leaving the buildings I debated on whether to carry on as by this time, my trousers were soaked, the water wicking up from the wet grass and (see mistake 1) my shoes were very wet.
Conclusion: can’t get much wetter.

Numerous figures by Elizabeth Frink were situated following the pathway towards the lower level, with the mosaic-ed Buddha standing out colourfully next to all the bronze sculptures.


 On the right, in the distance, I spied walking video characters on a screen looking like a doorway behind which was a regiment of bronze humanoid forms. 



Towards the left was Ai Weiwei’s Circle of Animals – Zodiac Heads.



I headed on down towards the lake in front of which geese were congregating on the grass eating and leaving numerous droppings to dodge.

The Goldsworthy pieces were on the other side of the lake but these will have to wait for another day as I am now too wet and slightly dispirited with the weather.

I returned to the van with thought of dry warm clothing and shoes on my thoughts.

Even though the rain made some of the day not the best, I wouldn’t have missed this place and in some ways I can still look forward to visiting again – in the sun.


The M1 was busy, wet and misty but thanks to a great DAB radio in the van I had musical company which made the miles go by a little easier.
A few stops for the usual comfort breaks and to get away from the tortuous amount of vehicles traveling so close to each other that the on off reds of their brake lights began to hurt my head.

Radio 2 traffic news warned of severe delays on the M5 south so I detoured by Stroud, Bath (oops, got a little lost around Bristol) and the A39 towards to A303 and roads that are still so familiar.
A stop off at Gloucester services warranted a quick snapshot of one of their wares – a smallish log (approx. 25-30 cm high and maybe 15cm diameter) with a cross cut deep into it with a chainsaw selling for £6.49 a pop!!!   Rip-off and gullible spring to mind.

The last portion of the journey was spent trying to cover as much ground as possible in the shortest, safest time.

Eventually!! Pulled in to Bradleigh and stop.
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment